Congratulations to our client First Solar, as Desert Sunlight, one of the world’s largest
#solar projects, starts commercial operation http://fslr.co/1KGTouQ
Ironwood has worked cooperatively with First Solar throughout permitting and construction compliance for Desert Sunlight, to bring a model of success to how both efficient solar construction and protection of biological resources can be effectively managed.
The Desert Sunlight project is model for how effective resource protection can be managed without incurring construction delays or high costs. The project was never delayed for biological resource concerns, yet all desert tortoises were successfully translocated, nests avoided, and other resources were managed to the high protection level required on public lands.
- Desert tortoise protocol-level surveys conducted on over 12,000 acres
- No project delays for biological resource concerns
- Performed project clearance in three phases to prevent expensive re-clearing activities and construction delays
- Re-cleared project following a 100-year storm event in 2013 with no construction downtime
- Nesting avoidance with over 95% success rate
- First successful long-distance passive relocation of kit fox
You can read more about our involvement with the Desert Sunlight project at: